Wednesday, January 18, 2012


Hola Familia!
Well things are going awesome and little beyond awesome for me here in Florida but I must say that it sounds the same for you guys. Let me tell ya I have just had an awesome and fantastic week too. It was one of those wow this is the life weeks. haha To start off Elder Clark and I are doing extremely well. It’s sad because I know that as soon as we learned to cooperate we would be split. Transfer calls are this weekend and I am actually debating doing something mean so as to confuse the whole system and make him stay here so I can "learn my lesson" hahaha no just kidding but we really have come to be very good friends and I really have just learned and grown a lot from being around him. Not to mention we do work together! He has everything I don’t have-- so we end up filling in the spaces that the other is missing. It’s pretty cool and we get to see the work go forth because of it. So whatever happens I will be ok with it but I can honestly say that I will truly be sad to see Elder Clark go.
As for the work once again we reached our goal of 20 lessons a week and that was on top of the 7 family mission plans that we set up which don’t count as lessons not to mention 2 more baptismal dates were set for Feb. 12 and in the last 2 weeks we have come to find 10 new and pretty solid investigators. It has been awesome and just such a blessing. We talked to a lot of people and we got to get real deep into some of the problems of our less active family. It came to the point where we were talking about their goals and where they wanted to get and how they were going to get there and then it was funny because out came he excuses but even they had to realize there was no way around what we were asking of them. It’s really hard to do that kind of work and still show them that you love and care for them but the Lord was with us and I think we might have pricked their hearts in a good way. haha As for people like Ramón things are not going so well. We called him after the week was up and asked him if he was ready and he ends up making an excuse so we was rather feather ruffled but its interesting because today I found a verse that I am going to use. Read ALMA 32 I think it is like 6 or 16 it’s on the right page on the inside column. We will share this with him and set a date or we will have to drop him because we have seen that he was just wasting our precious time that we have here and ever since we have kinda dropped him we have been seeing so much success. It’s sad because I love him but I cannot force him to do anything nor do I want to. The lord prepares his people and maybe he is just getting ready for later. Who knows?
Well it has come to pass that I have partaken of another vile and despicable traditional food. Anyone ever heard of Menudo? hmm anybody? Dad wanna explain what it is? Oh yea its cow stomach. Big ol chunks of nice juicy cow stomach! oh so yummy in my tummy! NOT! Let’s just explain the details. So there we are after we just set our two baptismal dates and Hermana Cruz finishes cooking her two soups. Well she had also fed us like twenty min earlier with the pizza that her next door neighbor brought over. (She’s Jehovah witness and every time we come over she sends food to Hermana Cruz like there is no tomorrow.) haha We are the ones that end up eating it hahahahahaaha. Well anyways so there are these two soups and one is posole which is like pork chunks and hominy and the other is menudo. Well me and Elder Clark both wanted to try menudo but when she asked Elder Clark what he wanted he said posole because he thought she said mole which is another traditional dish and he had already tried that. So off he goes with the posole. apparently it was really good, but I being a little crazy and thinking I wanted to try everything at least once and understanding that she had said menudo asked for some of it. Well Elder Clark at first was a little jealous because he had wanted to try it and was sad that he had hadn’t heard right but let me tell ya he felt differently after like my first bite. Menudo is like a chunk of stomach about this big (use your fingers to measure off the computer screen). (----------------------------) mixed with liquid and hominy. Well menudo looks like gray brain with honeycomb on the inside. After I shoved the first bite in my mouth and they all were watching me I did ok but when the second bite came and no one was watching except Elder Clark my body convulsed and I nearly lost it. It was at this point that Elder Clark slowed down eating his soup so as not to appear hungry and ready to try some menudo. hahaha Well there is about a good 9 chunks in my soup and not to mention the liquid tastes just like it so I do my best and at one point I give a piece to Elder Clark and tell him to try not only to give him the experience but also to save my the struggle of getting it down my throat safely. Well he waits and because its a joke between elders to torture each other when in contact with these types of animals he slips it back into my bowl and puts his in the sink so that I am stranded and forced to finish what I have begun. Charity is a strange thing and I think this is one of those moments that I had it because I got it down and made it look like I enjoyed it and we left with everyone happy and feeling like pro cooks. But afterwards I could not help but gag and I felt so queasy the whole ride home. hahaha So Menudo is number one on the list of worst foods eaten while on the mission.
Well we also got to watch a church video with of the families in our ward this week called "Two brothers" and it is so good and if you don’t watch it I can honestly say your missing out. haha it’s on the BYU website so watch it. Well I also last night partook of an extremely hot jalapeño that was huge and I did it without drinking or eating anything. Like a man hahaha just kidding. But we spent some good time with Chito and Cruz and their family and they always invite us over for barbeque so we love going over there. The Juarez family is doing good but we are going to have to hit them with some kind of a spiritual bomb before they move too much. Well I love you guys and miss you so much and I am so grateful every week for the wonderful emails you send and that you always fill me in on everything. I can’t tell you how much it means to hear from you. It sounds silly but it’s a big deal out here. Asides from missionary work what else do we even talk about? hahaha Well I loved the glasses and they are awesome and super nice. Also thank you for the candy it always is there right when my body screams sugar. hahaha I just want tell you guys that I love serving my mission. There is nothing else in the world that brings happiness to our souls than sharing and studying the gospel. The hope joy peace and comfort that come are divine and eternal something that will never fade or loose luster. Heavenly Father has given me so much and I realize it more and more each day as I serve and study. You guys are a living example to me of the love that my Heavenly Father has for me. I bear my testimony that Jesus is the Christ and that this is the true and perfect church that He has restored upon the earth today through the prophet Joseph Smith. I bear witness of the power of the Book of Mormon and I know that by and through its teachings we can and will find eternal life. I love that my family is eternal and I know that we will all make it to the celestial kingdom someday where we will rest and live and become as god is. I love you and can’t wait till I can see you again. I hope you all have a great week and that you each try to get just a little better each day for that is Gods plan for us.
LOVE ELDER OLIVER

No comments:

Post a Comment